“We are at the airport and we are still waiting for the official authorization to go to Algeria to take part in the CHAN,” said the coach of the U23 national team, Issam Charai, in a statement to the press.
“We have a young team and we have great ambitions,” he added, noting that participation in a senior competition like the CHAN should allow these young players to evolve and develop their level.
In a statement issued Thursday, the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF) said that the Moroccan soccer team was not able to travel to Constantine in Algeria to compete in the 7th CHAN and defend its title, insofar as the final authorization of its Royal Air Maroc (RAM) flight, official carrier of the Moroccan soccer teams, from Rabat to Constantine has not been confirmed.
Following its request for authorization of a RAM flight from Rabat to Constantine, the FRMF was informed on December 22, 2022 by the Confederation of African Football (CAF), as the body in charge of organizing the CHAN, that an authorization in principle had been obtained, noted the statement.
Based on this authorization in principle, the FRMF has communicated the details of the plan and flight coordinates of the Moroccan selection in order to obtain the final authorization of the RAM flight from Rabat to Constantine and continued the preparation of the trip and participation of the Moroccan selection in the CHAN, including the training course at the Mohammed VI Complex of Football in Salé from January 6 to 10 during which two friendly matches against Ethiopia were played, noted the same source.
While the movement of the Moroccan selection from Rabat to Constantine is organized by the FRMF and that the kick-off of the CHAN is scheduled for January 13, 2023, that is to say in 24 hours, the Royal Moroccan Federation of Football “takes note with regret that the obtaining of the definitive authorization of the RAM flight from Rabat to Constantine has unfortunately not yet been confirmed by CAF”, concluded the communiqué.
ALdar: LA MAP